We do not know exactly when racing started in Bellewstown, but the first record of races appears in the August edition of the Dublin Gazette and the Weekly Courier in 1726. George Tandy, a former Mayor of Drogheda and brother of the famous Napper Tandy, persuaded King George III to sponsor a race at Bellewstown in 1780. The race was called His Majesty’s Plate and was valued at £100.
Bellewstown racecourse, on the Hill of Crockafotha in Co Meath, is beautifully situated in a rural setting with magnificent views of the Mountains of Mourne to the north and the Irish sea to the east.
For the first time in 2022 there will be four race meetings this year with one date in April, three dates in July, two in August and two in September.
The races have always been associated with the smell of freshly mown hay and the taste of strawberries and cream!
A Facility That Serves More Than Just A Racing Community
The surrounding tarmacadam track has become a focal point for many walkers and outdoor enthusiasts with our enclosure being used on a regular basis by a diverse group of associations.